Kugel can be made in variety of ways: apple sauce kugel, potato kugel, noodle kugel, matzoh kugel, savory spinach kugel, carrot kugel, and of course, my Nana's recipe below for the sweet noodle kugel with raisins. I love this recipe as I have eaten it as a side dish, dessert, or even a quick breakfast on the run. My sister Sheryl makes a great spinach kug. I remember my brother Adam and I loving this recipe below when Nana and Mom made it in the 70's. We would fight for the pieces which had the most crunchy noodles on top.
I made the recipe this evening. You could smell the apples, nutmeg, and cinnamon while it was cooking! It came out great but I would recommend reducing the cooking time by 5 to 10 minutes if you have a newer oven so it doesn't dry out. You can always continue baking if need be.
|Sweet Noodle Kugel|
Nana's Sweet Noodle Kugel
Set oven on bake to 350'F.
8 oz broad noodles (I used David's Wide Enriched Kosher Egg Noodles)
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil.
3 eggs separated
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 cup seedless raisins
1/4 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 to 1 1/2 cups diced apples
1. Boil noodles according to package instructions, drain well.
2. Beat egg yolks, oil, cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar, and salt.
3. Add apples, raisins, and noodles.
4. Beat egg whites until stiff - fold into noodle mixture.
5. Pour into greased baking dish - 9 x 9 x 1 1/2 inches.
6. Bake at 350'F for 45 minutes until brown.