|Gelly the Graduate!|
At her graduation party, I had already told her how proud of her I was. How I enjoyed so much watching her grow up, becoming a responsible young adult, graduating with honors, and receiving her diploma! There needed to be something more...
The next day, I was in San Diego's Balboa Park enjoying a morning to myself wandering around the gardens, studying the architecture, all the while trying to allow my thoughts and ideas to come together through my surroundings. NOTHING. LOL. I sat outside the Botanical Gardens watching koi fish lazily swim to and fro. I got out my laptop and realized my laptop was dead! Argh!!! I forgot to check the battery! I was getting nowhere fast.
I decided I'd grab a quick beer in the Prado Restaurant and brainstorm. Sitting with my beer, I was playing with my camera when I caught the whiff of something so strong, yet fresh and energizing! I glanced over at the bartender. He had just plucked an entire pitcher full of fresh mint leaves for mojitos. The bartender said he barely noticed it anymore, having spent each morning for months plucking off the fresh mint leaves.
|Botanical Gardens, Balboa Park, San Diego|
ANGELICA (OR Gelly, as we call her), just take moments and stop and listen to the cacophony of life around you. For instance, while I was at that bar, I heard:
the Chef speaking Spanish while stirring a large pot of sopa,
the clinking of bar glasses,
the soft jazz in the background,
the bartender shaking his cocktail mixer, making endless mojitos,
the jarring sound of a dropped silver tray,
and the murmurings of the waitstaff during lunch.
|Uncle Marc and Gelly on the way to graduation!|
Some observations off the top of my head to help you realize what I am talking about: (in no particular order)
- The strong scent of fresh herbs or flowers (think rosemary, mint, lilacs, or honeysuckle)
- The softness of your doggie Zoey the Morkie's hair
- Zoey's rhythmic breathing while sleeping
- Spending the day just wandering and not (G-D forbid) always checking into social media
- The smells and tastes of your Mom's cooking
- The taste of fresh fruit and veggies
- Learning to appreciate all types of music from the soft jazz playing in the background of a restaurant to your favorite country music (And I know you know a TON of country music, LOL.)
- The smell of fresh sheets and towels
- Your favorite perfume
- The warmth from rays of sunshine on your face
- Quiet time alone
- The refreshing crisp feeling of jumping into a pool
- Drinking ice cold water and feeling it deep inside you
- Actually listening to the birds during the morning
- ENJOY the morning, take 5 extra minutes and drink your coffee outside!
I could go on and on. I hope this helps. I truly wish you the best. As they say, you are the master of your own destiny and YOU ARE THE AUTHOR OF YOUR OWN LIFE STORY. (OK OK, I got that from the pictured card, but oh so true!)
And some general advice from your Uncle:
Take time for yourself to learn, grow, and heal.
Accept your imperfections.
Do something you love for your career, don't get sucked into what others want you to do.
Learn a language.
Fireball, if consumed in large quantities, is a bad choice.