|Mom's Beef Stew|
Mom served it over rice or with a side of buttered egg noodles. I looked online for hints and suggestions on a simple beef stew recipe and there are so many variations it will make your head spin. There are variations on cooking time, specific steps, seasonings, vegetables etc. It is a bit overwhelming. I added a little more direction here and there but this is 95% Mom's own recipe.
You can add thyme or a couple bay leaves for more flavor. If you add the bay leaves, make sure you take them out before serving. Some people also add chopped up celery when adding the onions, potatoes, and carrots. Others sauté garlic when browning the meat.
I used 'Steamables' brand potato medley with golden, red, and purple potatoes. I still cut up the potatoes into 1 inch cubes though. It gave the stew some nice color besides the carrots and peas. Instead of cutting up carrots, I chose to use the baby carrots. Just easier than chopping everything up. The flour seasoning mix made a tasty gravy. Lastly, I chose to add a basic Italian seasoning blend of basil, oregano, thyme, and rosemary. I couldn't find any bay leaves to add.
As I've stated before, a lot of these older recipes were "basic" and didn't go crazy on the spices. These are family recipes, meant to be enjoyed by not just one person, but as in MY case, two parents and three kids. A lot of recipes weren't too spiced up back in the 70s and 80s. Feel free to add something to spice it up!
Beef Stew (Simple Recipe)
by Abby Deeds
1-1/2 lbs beef cubes (beef stew cubes)
2 Tbsp cooking oil (or olive oil)
3 1/2 cups water
2 medium onions sliced
4 medium potatoes (cut into 1 inch cubes)
5 medium carrots sliced
1 1/2 cups uncooked peas
1/3 cup flour
salt/pepper to taste
1. Combine salt, pepper, and flour
2. Coat meat cubes with seasoned flour
3. Brown meat cubes in cooking oil over medium heat
4. Sprinkle remaining seasoned flour over browned meat
5. Stir and add water, cover tightly
6. Simmer 1 1/2 hours or until meat is "knife" tender in a stew pot, skillet, or Dutch oven (I simmered 1 hour and it came out perfectly.)
7. Add onions, potatoes, and carrots
8. Simmer covered 15 minutes or longer, stirring occasionally
9. Add peas and continue cooking until tender, about another 5 minutes.
10. Serve with buttered noodles or rice